Science advice in the EU
SAPEA – Science Advice for Policy by European Academies
SAPEA brings together knowledge and expertise from across Europe as part of the European Commission Scientific Advice Mechanism. Established in 2016, it is financed by the Horizon 2020.
Five European Academy networks work together to offer Science advice:
- EASAC – European Academies Science Advisory Council
- Academia Europaea – The Academy of Europe
- Euro-Case – The European Council of Academies of Applied Sciences, Technologies and Engineering
- FEAM – The Federation of European Academies of Medicine
- ALLEA – All European Academies
A variety of topics
SAPEA reports are issued by the five academy networks on a variety of topics, such as:
- micro plastics
- carbon capture and storage
- food from the ocean
The reports are presented by SAM (The Scientific Advice Mechanism).
Both SAPEA and SAM are important constituents, supporting the EU with high quality, timely and independent scientific advice for its policy-making activities.