The Academy administers several science prizes
The Abel Prize
The Abel Prize is an international prize for outstanding scientific work in the field of mathematics. In addition to honoring outstanding mathematicians, the Abel Prize shall contribute towards raising the status of mathematics in society and stimulating the interest of children and young people in mathematics.
The Kavli Prize
Every second year the Kavli Prize is awarded to outstanding scientists for their seminal advances in nanoscience, astrophysics, and neuroscience – the smallest, the biggest, and the most complex.
The Kavli Prize is a partnership between
- The Norwegian Academy of Science and Letters
- The Kavli Foundation (US)
- The Norwegian Ministry of Education and Research
The laureates receive a gold medal, a diploma and USD 1,000,000 in each of the scientific fields.
In addition, the Academy is also responsible for organising committees who elects winners for the following awards:
- Fridtjof Nansen's award for excellence in science (dates back to 1903)
- Fridtjof Nansen's award for young scientists (dates back to 1963)
- The Norwegian Academy of Science and Letters Teacher’s award